Thursday, October 1, 2026

BOOK REVIEW: We Live Here Now by Sarah Pinborough

 3 Stars

Following her recuperation from an accident that left her in a near death coma, Emily and her husband, Freddie, seek solitude in a quiet English town on the moors where Freddie has purchased a large property for her remaining recovery. But despite the isolation of the landscape, Emily soon senses they are not alone.

Told via Emily and Freddie’s 1st person POV as well as some 3rd person chapters from the raven—yes, really the bird, this is a supernatural suspense/haunted house story with distinct element of gothic.  As you might guess, there’s also plenty of Poe references. It’s a slow build and not so much a whodunit as ‘who is haunting their abode.’

While it’s certainly not a romance, marriage and relationship (specially relationship struggles) is a strong theme driving the plot. In fact, given the couples in this book, I don’t think anyone would want to run out and get married after reading it.

For the most part, I found Emily fairly rootable. She’s not without her flaws, but I sympathized with some of her issues. Freddie, on the other hand, what a pathetic douche.  He becomes utterly reprehensible for numerous reasons.  Also, their friends were rather flat and not likeable. They definitely needed to be better developed as did a few plot points (i.e. the cause of her accident). 

The story kept me engaged, but I didn’t have any big reveal or ‘aha’ moments. While the ‘what’ and ‘how’ of the goings-on isn’t too obvious, I could figure it out as it went along.

All in all, an interesting spin on the haunting part of the tale, but otherwise the mystery is just okay and the characters are hardly sympathetic people.    

GOODREADS

*Title borrowed from the library’s e-loan app. All reviews written by Book-Bosomed Book Blog are honest opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment