Wednesday, August 6, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Conflicted Love by Lola Stark

Like sexy tattoo artists? Have you read Conflicted Love? Forbidden Love is due out next. Catch up with the book that sets the stage...

Conflicted Love (Needle’s Kiss #2) by Lola Stark


4.5 Stars

“It looked like cupid had walked in and puked on the place. The lovey-dovey shit was for the birds…”
 Yep, Trip’s narration in just the prologue pulled me in right from the start. Trip is hilarious; he has the most colorful descriptions and dialogue. He’s has no filters, and he rolls off with some of the craziest things. But if Trip would have been the prize in the boyfriend lottery when I was still single, I’d have definitely been buying tickets.

Although to start with, Trip is not the ‘settle down’ kind of guy.
 “The thought of being with one person for the rest of my life made me nauseous and claustrophobic.”
 Okay so commitment probably wasn’t in his vocabulary until…well until he finds out that he’s going to be a daddy.
 “What was I supposed to do? Skip around in circles smiling and handing out candy canes while rainbows came out of my ass? This wasn’t something I’d ever thought about. Shit, I never wanted to be a parent; it was a huge responsibility; one that people screwed up more often than not.”
Meanwhile, Teeny is a little emotional and whiny at times but she’s also pregnant for almost the whole book and so it fits her character. She seems much more down-to-earth at the end. Plus, given Trip’s preference for only one night stands, I can understand her hesitation with getting too involved with him. But as a pair, they are perfect, and it’s a ton of fun reading the verbal grief they give each other. Their love scenes are hot and you can definitely see where all the passion comes from.

If you are looking for a humorous, light-hearted read about two people negotiating their feelings for each other as well as their new roles as more responsible adults, this is a winner. There are plenty of steamy encounters, no cheating, and no scheming ex’s.

My only minor complaints are more like “missing scenes.” It would have been nice to get an explanation as to how the birth control failed. Even Trip wonders that, and I kept expecting some kind of scene between him and Teeny in the beginning that addressed the issue, but it never came. It also would also have been fun to see Trip and Teeny at work together as she finished her training (I thought that was being set up but nothing much was made of it). None-the-less the sharpie tattoo he gives her is awesome—very sweet and romantic moment!

All in all, an enjoyable read. Alternating first person POV between Trip and Teeny. HEA. No cliffhanger. The epilogue sets up book #3, and there is a bonus scene at the end with Scar and Mace (the couple from the first book) for fans. I actually have not read the first book but I had no problem jumping right into this series. 


Needle’s Kiss Series
#1 Tattered Love (Mace and Scar)
#2 Conflicted Love (Trip and Teeny)
#3 Forbidden Love (Jude and Haven)

Forbidden Love is on my TBR list. Add it to yours today at Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment