Tuesday, April 18, 2017

BOOK REVIEW: Never Be Tamed by Clare James

~Blurb~
Falling for your sister's nemesis?

Only a low-life dog would do something like that, right? And that ain't me, not anymore. I mean here I am, trying to be a stand-up guy for once in my freaking life—I'm finally making smart decisions, helping my little sister, and getting my shit together.

For once, things are finally going my way…until Jenna shows up.

As soon as I meet her, I know she's the enemy. I've heard enough to understand that she's off limits. Banned. Forbidden. Not for me!

She's the bad girl I have to stay away from if I want to keep my family intact. So I try. Trust me, I REALLY try. But it's not as easy as you'd think, and surprisingly, I discover that she's not as bad as everyone says.

Of course, she's difficult, selfish, and a royal pain in the ass, but she's also gorgeous, smart, kind, and…well, let's just say I am that low-life dog. Traitor. Turncoat. And the world's shittiest brother.

Woof. Woof. 🐕

Never Be Tamed is a  full-length stand-alone that can be read on its own or as part of The Impossible Love Series.



~Review~
4 Stars

Jenna Peterson used to be a “mean girl,” but now she keeps to herself and her dogs. Working at an animal shelter as she finishes her final year of college, Jenna enjoys the solitude. Michael Nelson has some regrets in life, especially when it comes to his sister; but he’s trying to work through his issues and a new apartment and internship with the police department is just what he’s looking for before he graduates college.

Jenna and Michael are no strangers. They’ve crossed paths before when Jenna brought out her claws with Michael’s sister over a guy. But despite the fact that they should be a no-go when it comes to each other, they both feel the attraction.

The premise of this story is what attracted it to me. I’ve read a lot of sibling’s best friend stories, but I’d never read a sibling’s enemy. So maybe I had high expectations because although I liked both Jenna and Michael, the story just felt a little dull or lacked a wow factor. Perhaps it was a few places that were more tell than show. Most definitely the abrupt ending was a letdown. While there is an epilogue to make up for that a little, I still felt like the premise never fully reached its potential.

I did enjoy the fact that’s there’s no OW drama, and that Jenna and Michael didn’t come across as clichéd stereotypes—they were pleasingly average twenty-somethings. While I haven’t read the previous books in the story, I didn’t have any problem following along. Told via their alternating first person POV, this is an easy read that flows at a steady pace and 
can be read as a standalone.

AMAZON   KOBO   IBOOKS   B&N


Clare James writes steamy contemporary romance and new adult stories, penning nearly a dozen novels. Her Entangled Brazen debut, CAUGHT, was a #1 Amazon Best-Selling Romance Series, and the touching family drama, Two-Hour Truce, also hit #1 as a category bestseller on Amazon.
Clare is fan of spunky women, gorgeous guys, and super-hot romance, and spends most of her time lost in books. When she's not reading, you can find her locked away writing. Clare is also a former dancer and still loves to get her groove on – mostly to work off her beloved cupcakes and red wine. She lives in Minneapolis with her two leading men – her husband and young son – and is always on social media chatting with readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment