Thursday, January 21, 2016

REVIEW/RELEASE: Sketch by Laramie Briscoe

~Blurb~
My name is Devin, but everybody calls me Sketch. I opened my own tattoo shop two years ago, and I’ve finally gotten to the point where I’m going to be able to give my wife everything she’s ever wanted. I’m going to be able to take time off and spend a day a week with her. In fact, tonight, I stopped and grabbed some wine, got her flowers, and those chocolates she likes. 

What I wasn’t prepared for was to be met at the front door by her carrying her sh*t out. 

She loves me, but she’s not in love with me anymore. What kind of bulls*it excuse is that? I’ve left her alone too often, I’ve been completely focused on one goal, and apparently she’s sick of waiting. 

So here I stand. Half the man I was, p*ssed as f*ck, because while I was busy making a better life for us, she was under the impression I was leaving her lonely. I know one day she’ll see what I’ve been doing has been for us, and when that day comes… She can damn well come crawling back to me.



~Book Review~
4.75 Stars

Devin Solomon aka Sketch just watched his wife, Nina, drive out of his life. Proclaiming the marriage over, Nina feels like they are no longer a couple. And in a lot of ways, they aren’t. While initially devastated, Sketch learns that what he thought was his perfect life wasn’t so perfect after all.

This book is really a journey. It’s emotional but not somber, and it’s about struggles but not angst. It’s probably the most real story I’ve read in a long time. It didn’t feel contrived as it avoids using all those standard troupes that are way too prevalent in many romances. There’s no inflated OW/OM drama. This is simply about a marriage in trouble because they’ve lost sight of who they are and what they truly want. The issues that Sketch and Nina have aren’t overblown plot-driven issues and they aren’t silly misunderstandings that could easily be remedied with one conversation. While Nina and Sketch do have to learn better communication, their marital problems are far more complex.

Can this marriage be saved? is the question posed. And there’s two sides to every story.  Marriage is a partnership; it’s about working together. And if you want it to work, you have to put in the effort.

Now don’t go thinking that this is only about a troubled marriage and the downfall of a relationship because it’s really about so much more than that. It’s also about finding yourself and doing what’s right for you which in turn is right for the both of you. It’s about breaking things down and putting the pieces back together.
“This is us being exactly who we’ve always meant to be. This is the new and improved us, and I want us to give this to each other.”
And holy cow is it sexy too. I’ve never read about a nearly divorced couple who know how to find the intimacy again like this.
“Her juices are coating the head of my cock, and I’m leaking everywhere. Together we’re straining trying to come to the end of this ride, even though neither one of us knows where it’s going to lead us.”
It’s touching; it’s steamy; it’s bittersweet; but most of all it’s real.

I would definitely recommend this one to any couple married one year or twenty years or who haven’t been married yet. It’s thoughtful and has a great message. Told mainly from Sketch’s first person point of view with a few small sections from Nina, it’s so much more than just a second chances love story.  
“‘If we end up happy because of it, then the journey has been worth it.’” –Sketch  

A Tattoo Artist - A Husband - An Alpha Male Who
Makes No Excuses



Laramie Briscoe is the best-selling author of the Heaven Hill Series & the Rockin' Country Series. Since self-publishing her first book in May of 2013, Laramie Briscoe has published over 10 books. She's appeared on the Top 100 Bestselling E-books Lists on iBooks, Amazon Kindle, Kobo, and Barnes & Noble. She's been called "a very young Maya Banks" (Amazon reviewer) and her books have been accused of being "sexy, family-oriented, romances with heart".

When she's not writing alpha males who seriously love their women, she loves spending time with friends, reading, and marathoning shows on her DVR. Married to her high school sweetheart, Laramie lives in Bowling Green, KY with her husband (the Travel Coordinator) and a sometimes crazy cat named Beau.

Facebook    Website    Instagram    Newsletter 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for this freakin' amazing review!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'e so welcome! Truly enjoyed it. Definitely going on my re-read list :)

      Delete