Wednesday, April 25, 2018

BOOK REVIEW: Forbidden Sext: A Stepbrother Romance by Stephanie Brother

~Blurb~
Why is my perfect match the only guy I hate on campus? 

When I join the college dating app, I'm expecting to be matched with someone who's my type. Instead, I get the college prankster, Elijah. 

He might be good looking, he might even be chivalrous, but that doesn't mean I'm interested. 

I think it's a mistake, or maybe one of his pranks. 
I keep my distance for a while, but I'm only human. 

Mistake is my middle name, especially when it comes to relationships. 

And I find myself left with two dramas. Elijah is going to be my stepbrother and is now totally forbidden. Oh, and the other thing is I'm carrying his baby.


~Book Review~
3 Stars

Elijah only intends to trick Sophia when he sets up a fake profile on the university’s dating site, but he ends up falling for the girl he didn’t think even liked him.

Even though Elijah’s original intentions with Sophia aren’t admirable, he turned out to be a decent guy. I liked that he was all in for her once they got to know each other.  Sophia was okay, but she also annoyed me at a few points with the way she handled things. Sometimes they behaved a bit immature or naïve, and even if the blurb hadn’t mentioned the pregnancy it certainly wouldn’t have been a surprise since they don’t use protection or discuss birth control at all.  I also totally side-eyed  Sophia's worries that she’s going to get in trouble with the university for being pregnant. Geez this isn’t 1950!

Told via Elijah and Sophia’s alternating first person POV, this is fairly light-hearted and easy read. There were some cute moments. I think it had more potential than it delivers. Some parts are a little underdeveloped, their banter fell flat, and their relationship is rushed. The story could also benefit from a good editor. The writing isn’t top quality, and the narrative tends to relate a good deal of unimportant details (like the movie theater they are going to, etc) instead of developing more significant scenes. There are some grammatical mistakes and continuity errors with the days of the week.

Nonetheless, it’s a safe romance with no OW/OM drama. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment