Friday, July 31, 2026

BOOK REVIEW: The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager

 3.5 Stars

Widow and actress Casey Fletcher has taken refuge, though she’s also kind of been banished, to the family lake house after her career tanks.  While I get why her family and friends feel she needs to be out of the public’s eye for a while, I kept scratching my head why they’d leave a woman with a drinking problem basically secluded with access to alcohol. Because her drinking is really out of hand. And one can only read about the protagonist taking another drink so many times before it starts to feel like the book has a drinking game built in for the reader.

If you’re not getting drunk alongside Casey, you’ll probably notice the slow build. And the fact that Casey’s inebriated state is the main thing helping some of the suspension of disbelief with this story.

The premise isn’t original, so it doesn’t have that going for it.  Bored and drunk most of the time, Casey finds entertainment spying on the new neighbors after acquiring a savior complex for the wife.  

The initial mystery had promise, but I’ve got a beef about bait and switch marketing. A book with paranormal elements should be indicated in the description or genre listing. And while I didn’t hate the supernatural elements of the plot, I would have much preferred a fully real-world suspense. While the story is entertaining and has a positive ending which I enjoyed, it would be a much better mystery without the paranormal. Not only did it open the door to another realm so to speak, it also opened the door to some plot holes, if not silliness.

Luckily, I inadvertently bought two books by this author only a few days apart. This was my first read and it was okay, but the next one was the real prize. Stay tuned….

GOODREADS


*Title purchased from Marshalls. All reviews written by Book-Bosomed Book Blog are honest opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment