Tuesday, May 8, 2018

BOOK REVIEW: Prince Charming by C.D. Reiss

~Synopsis~

Keaton Bridge is exactly the kind of guy a straight-arrow like Cassie doesn’t need. 

For one thing, he’s a criminal—and she fights crime for a living. And being criminally handsome isn’t helping her say no, either. Everything about him screams trouble, from his British accent to his mysterious past. 

And Cassie doesn’t do trouble.

Keaton’s got his own trouble. He’s trying to go legit, and an FBI agent hanging around is the last thing that will help his credibility. All it took was one night of passion to sear her into his skin. Now he can’t imagine living happily ever after without her. 

All they have to do is walk away.

But neither of them ever walks away from danger.



~Book Review~
4 Stars

Cassie Grimstead is an FBI agent. Keaton Bridge is a person of interest on a case she’s working. He could be an asset; he could be her lover. Or she could straddle a fine, ethical line between both.
“‘After all, when a girl kisses a hacker, she shouldn’t be surprised when she’s hacked….Just leave me something to tell you over dinner.’”
I was a little all over the place with this book, not that the story is all over the place. It’s fairly tightly plotted and well developed, and readers who enjoy romantic suspense that isn’t dark but also isn’t short on steam should appreciate this one. There were parts that paced a little slow.  The “cloak and dagger” talk grew a little old in the beginning. There’s drawing out suspense and then just losing your readers. But then there were other parts where the suspense pulled me in, and I wanted to keep reading to learn the answers. There were a few scenes I teared up, and parts where I swooned. I’d say it has “all the feels” but really I hate that expression.

In the beginning it felt like insta-lust, but later it’s shown how the relationship grows. Keaton is an intriguing hero, one hot little hacker in the bedroom too.  
“‘I haven’t thought about holding your arms behind your back while I fuck you from behind. Taking you by the hair and pulling your head back until I see you breathless when you come.’”
Yowza! Yeah, he had all the best lines.
“‘I’m infatuated with your head and your tail, darling.’”
Cassie was a little bland, and I’m not sure why. She isn’t a weak heroine, but maybe she just doesn’t rock the strong vibes. I liked her enough; I just had a little trouble connecting with her.
“‘All night, I want you all night. Now until the sun. You promised me I wouldn’t sleep with you, and I plan on helping you keep that promise.’”
The epilogue came upon me as a bit of a surprise, seeing as how the story ends at just past 50%. The other half of this edition is samples from the two other novels that operate in the same universe/connecting plot arc.  I would have liked to see the resolution a little better developed and what felt like some loose ends better elaborated on.  I also gotta say, I don’t think the title and cover image does this book justice or perhaps doesn’t capture the real feel of the story.

Told via their dual first person POV, there’s a strong sense of foreboding in the tone of the novel sealing the suspense angle and plenty of steamy entanglements alongside a hero who delivers the romance and only has interest in his artful dodger (as it should be).

AMAZON     B&N   

No comments:

Post a Comment